Here we are in May already, and time for the first small pleasures post of the month. It is autumn here of course, and while the cooler mornings are very much indicative of the season, we have had lots of lovely sunshine. I bought some gorgeous yellow Cala lilies which you can see in the featured image at the top of the post, caught up with some old BBC radio dramas (the ones from the 1960s and 1970s are quite hilarious at times) and found some time to read. Oh yes…and kicked my way through a pile of leaves.
As usual, I enjoyed my Pilates classes. My Thursday teacher is moving on, so a few of us joined her for a farewell drink on Saturday. Karl and I went for a lovely meal at a little Italian restaurant in town afterwards – no photo, but I did have a lovely fettuccine and prawn dish.
On Wednesday, I made it down to the little vegetable market and picked up half a cauliflower and a couple of other things, including a bit of focaccia from Shelley Bay Baker. In our basket on Saturday, as well as lemons and limes, there were the first of the persimmons, a few passion fruit and courgettes. All sorts of good things!
One regular small pleasure is Sunday breakfast. We have time to linger, enjoying fresh bread and orange juice and whatever else takes our fancy on the day. I still have some Kalles kaviar to enjoy with a boiled egg, and of course had to have one of my favourite passion fruit as well. It is also a day to have two cups of tea at breakfast – now that is a small pleasure!
Finally, to ‘animal corner’. On Friday I met these two rabbits, Nixie and Oscar, who were available for ‘bunny therapy’. Their fur was so soft and they seemed quite happy to be stroked and spoken to by lunch time passers by. At home, we have noticed that Charlie has been spending even more time sleeping than usual, curled up on his favourite fur throw with a glass of water nearby. He is thirteen and a half so is allowed to slow down a bit.
That is all from me this Monday, except to say that one of my regular small pleasures is catching up with fellow bloggers around the world. Here are a few of my blogging friends recent posts.
- My blogging friend Laurie over at Notes from the Hinterland updates us on her moss garden and as usual, treats us to some good music.
- Carol Ann of Fashioned for Joy shares some wonderful small pleasures of the week.
- Sanch Writes explores bits of Canberra (and check out her April 2021 Reflections too).
- Ju Lyn of Touring My Backyard shares more of her life in Singapore (where I really hope to return one day).
- Trent saw an osprey – how wonderful. Such a real small pleasure in my book and definitely a Weekly Smile!
- Something Over Tea enjoys the patterns of cabbage as much as me!
- That Travel Lady in her Shoes shows us doors from Oslo.
- Lots of lovely pictures of Toronto over at Natalie the Explorer.
- Deb takes stock over at Deb’s World.
You can find Thistles and Kiwis on Facebook, and also on Instagram@thistleandkiwis. As for Twitter….am totally inactive these days. If you want to get in touch, email me on firstname.lastname@example.org