Another week, another set of small pleasures. There was a visit to the bookshop, some lovely comments from fellow bloggers and a phone call to my older brother in Vancouver to wish him a happy birthday. It was a special one for him, and his children, grandchildren and I contributed to a video wishing him all the best since none of us could be with him on the day. In fact, the video allowed us all to see each other, so very much a small pleasure.
And so to the other small pleasures of the week…and things I spotted on a walk in the Botanic Gardens. I know…I think nearly every Small Pleasures post has pictures from these gardens, but at least these change with the seasons! Below a lily and stunning bright pink dahlia spotted this week. The featured image at the top of the post was taken on the same walk.
I travelled for work this week, up to one of my favourite parts of the country, Hawke’s Bay as I mentioned on Saturday. Below you can see the on-campus vineyard at the institution I was visiting. The weather was lovely, the visit good, and I managed to get on an earlier flight home thanks to the efficiency of the ground staff at the airport – a wonderful small pleasure!
And so to food….I baked a cake on Saturday, and roasted a chicken, in my usual way with lemon, garlic and whatever herbs are around. In the shopping basket there were raspberries, blueberries, plums, courgettes, capsicum, lamb mince and, of course lemons, always.
I will end with Sunday’s sunset, which I just managed to capture. A fitting picture to end the post on the tenth anniversary of the Christchurch quake which killed 185 people. There was a memorial service today in the city at the memorial wall we visited last year.
So those are my small pleasures this week. What were yours? Here are some other bloggers with their favourites from the past week. Please free to join in!
- Check out Ju-Lyn’s happy place, happy space and an absolutely stunning looking pineapple cake.
- Deb’s World has some books and a song to make you smile.
- Laurie over at Notes From the Hinterland enjoys some special donuts, music and a piece in The New Yorker.
- Little Pieces of Me is grateful for 5 things on Friday, including also watching a beautiful sunset.
- Natalie the Explorer goes Lakeside Birdwatching at the Lake Ontario harbour.
- Sanch Writes Weekly Gratitude enjoys writing and catching up with a friend
- Trent’s World‘s The Weekly Smile celebrates the release of his new book
- Susanne writes about a song that means something to her (great post!).
You can find Thistles and Kiwis on Facebook, and also on Instagram@thistleandkiwis. As for Twitter….am totally inactive these days. If you want to get in touch, email me on firstname.lastname@example.org