It is now the end of my second week in my new job. Gosh – I am not used to sitting at a desk all day, staring at a computer screen. There is so much to learn, and at the moment I am still very bewildered by the whole thing. When I come home I can’t look at my computer for a couple of hours and feel my blog and keeping up with the blogsphere is suffering somewhat. Anyway, just a quick food post so I don’t lose touch with my blog altogether!
1) The weekend before we went to Melbourne (seems an age away!), I made a beef cobbler. Next time I’ll use a different dish so I don’t end up with one giant scone topping. It tasted good though, which is what matters at the end of the day.
All you need to do is preheat the oven to 180C. Fry an onion and 500g of beef mince in a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Stir frequently to break up the mince, until well browned. Add about 200g of mushrooms and 2 tablespoons of plain flour. Stir well and add 500ml of beef stock and a good dash of Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer, then gently cook for 10 minutes.
For the topping, sift 2 cups (NZ/Australian cups) of self-raising flour into a bowl. Season and pour in 3/4 cup of milk and 60g of melted butter. Stir to form a soft dough. Using 2 tablespoonful of dough at a time, roll dough into balls. Flatten slightly and place over mince mixture. And then hope that you have used the right shaped dish so you don’t end up with one large scone.
2) Blueberry muffins – last weekend’s baking. Lovely and moist they were too!
3) Summer means Campari and soda. I am curious as to why the table is not level…
4) Macaroni Cheese – nothing beats it as comfort food!
5) A rather nice Riesling from Te Herā, Martinborough we picked up last time we were there. It had a cork in it and it took some time to find the corkscrew as wine here normally comes in screw top bottles.
6) Marmite and avocado on toast for breakfast – a marriage made in heaven!